Who Do You Need To Inform When Moving House?

When moving house, there’s so much more than simply organising the removals vans to think about. One of the main headaches can be keeping track of which organisations and companies to inform of your change of address. Often we don’t realise just how many places out there use our home address to correspond with us, or how important it is to keep an updated record of our address on as many company files as possible.

To help you keep track of who to inform, we’ve made a list of who you’ll need to get in touch with…


Government bodies

Update your address with the DVLA for both your licence and vehicle registration – but not before you move, as you may need your licence for identification and van hire. Depending on your circumstances, you may also need to contact HMRC or the Department for Work and Pensions.

You’ll need to ask your local authority for a final statement of your council tax too – and may even get a refund. It’s also important to remember to update your details on the electoral roll too. 


  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA)
  • Electoral roll TV Licensing
  • Your local authority


Financial institutions

Lenders, banks and credit card companies will need to know your new home details. This is particularly important with current account and credit card providers, as they may use your current address as a security check or to verify who you are.


  • Banking and savings account providers
  • Credit card companies Investment funds
  • Store loyalty card providers
  • Pension services


Insurance providers

You should let your contents insurance provider know of when and where you’ll  be moving. Check with them what is and is not insured during the move. You may need to get additional insurance from them or the removals company. Contact any companies you have insurance with, including:

  • Car insurance (and any breakdown services provider)
  • Home insurance Mobile phone insurance
  • Pet insurance Life insurance Health insurance (including dental insurance)


Utility suppliers

Let your utilities providers know the exact date you’ll be moving. You should take meter readings and photographs of them (ideally date-stamped ones) of the meters in both your old and new home.


  • Water supplier
  • Gas provider
  • Electricity provider


Regular bills

Any company that provides a service you pay a regular bill for – such as a mobile phone provider, telecoms provider, magazine subscriptions etc – will also need to be told about your change of address.

Contact providers for your:

  • Home phone
  • Broadband Cable
  • TV
  • Mobile phone


Health services

It’s important to let any medical organisations know you’re moving too. Prioritise joining your new local GP if you’ve had to move surgeries, as there may be a delay in getting treatment when you first register.


  • Local NHS doctor’s surgery – register ASAP so there are no delays when you need to see your GP
  • Specialists, such as your dentist and optician


Work and education contacts

If you have children then their school (as well as your employers) will need your most current address details – especially if you’re listed as somebody’s emergency contact.


  • Your employers (and company pension fund)
  • Colleagues and alumni networks
  • Professional associations Schools, colleges and educational institutions


Leisure and family activities

Make sure your subscriptions are up-to-date and share your address with any other organisations that might contact you via mail. If your pets are microchipped, ensure you’ve updated the relevant databases too.


  • Newspaper, magazine and newsletter subscriptions
  • Clubs, including sports teams or gym
  • Charities you support
  • Pet microchip databases


Redirecting your mail and calls

If you’ve lived in your property for a long time, it’s likely that you’ll have a lot of work to do updating people and organisation with your new information. However this process is easier if you take advantage of the Post Office’s change-of-address service, which takes up to 10 days to come into effect and redirects all mail to your new place. You can keep this service for three, six or 12 months after moving into your new home to avoid letters going missing. If you are updating your phone number too, you may also be able to arrange for your telephone company to automatically inform callers of your new number for a few weeks following the switchover date.


So there you have it – a complete guide of who to inform of your move. Here at Britannia Fleet, we’re experts when it comes to all things removals.

Contact one of our professionals today and find out how we can help you with the moving process when it comes to the big day.